The April 2013 gathering of five Smart Policing Initiative (SPI) grantees, BJA leadership, CNA training and technical assistance providers, and SPI subject matter experts creates a forum for discussing important issues related to SPI project implementation and performance measurement. Meeting objectives were:
- Present key Smart Policing concepts.
- Assist SPI sites in refining site action plans for implementing Smart Policing.
- Discuss implementation obstacles and specific strategies for resolving or managing them.
- Discuss research in police organizations, integration, sustainability, and organizational capacity.
- Provide SPI site recommendations for BJA and CNA.
Attendees heard from the Phase IV sites joining SPI, including project overviews from East Palo Alto, CA, Rochester, NY, Kansas City, MO, Port St. Lucie, FL. and Columbia, SC. Two Phase I sites, Los Angeles, CA and Glendale, AZ, also presented on successes from their SPI projects in addressing gun violence and reducing thefts. Participants learned about innovation sustainability, SPI website features, and the roles of practitioners and researchers in SPI.